Any of my friends in my medical class know how stressed out I am right now, because they are too. Now is the time to decide what we want to apply to next year. It is frightening.
What do you want to be when you grow up? The answer was easy when I was 10, but nowwell, im now hurtling towards my 30s (oh g-d) and I just dont want to answer that question. It comes with where will you live? Where will you work? Will you have a family?
So Ive decided to regress. Im taking a page out of my psychiatry textbook and pulling the defense mechanism card regression.
Example A: Ive made a a fattoush salad. Kinda sounds like fat tush.
Regardless of my current immaturity, fattoush is a lebanese salad that is lemony and tasty.I highly suggest you try it! The only odd ingredient is Sumac, and you can find it at any middle eastern grocery store or even your neighborhood grocery store (ive seen it at both!).
- 2 whole wheat pita pocket breads, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 2 gloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp powdered Sumac
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced cucumber (english cucumber)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves (can increase up to 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley (can increase up to 1/2 cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spread the pita chips in a single layer on a baking sheet and baking for 10 minutes, or until dry. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green onion, parsley and mint.
- For the dressing, combine the garlic, salt, sumac and lemon juice. Whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the bread to the salad before serving and toss the salad with the lemon dressing.
- Serve and enjoy! (can sprinkle individual plates with some extra sumac!)
Adapted from Kalyns Kitchen