It is the last few weeks of summer I am horrified (yes, horrified) at how quickly the summer went by. Asides from my week of vacation, I think Ive been in the sun for a total of 10 days. Sigh, the life of a medical student/netflix watcher (Buffy the Vampire slayer and Friday Night Lights 2 very different shows that live deep in my heart).
Asides from the earlier sunset, August also means its peach season. They are so fresh and sweet now that they add something special to any dish. You can go for the classic peach cobbler, or you can cut fresh peaches into a green salad (if you just came back from a heavy-eating vacation). In my case, I used sweet peaches to balance the spicy zing of my cajun salmon and it went perfectly.
This dish is a cajun spiced salmon with a fresh tasting peach salsa. You can buy cajun seasoning pre-made at your grocery store. No need to make a melange (thats french for mixture) of your own. And while the recipe calls for a peach salsa, I didnt cut my veggies and fruits into teensy tiny pieces Im rebellious. Conform if you wish.
Cajun salmon with peach salsa
Ingredients: (for 4)
For the fish:
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp cajun seasoning (warning: it can be spicy!)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (finely) diced peach
- 3/4 cup (finely) diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup (finely) diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cups finely diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon huice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Heat BBQ to medium-high heat or turn on your Foreman grill/use your grill pan
- Brush the fish with olive oil. Spread the seasoning on a plate and dredge the fish through it, turning to coat (try to not have the seasoning too thick as it is spicy). Sprinkle salt and pepper on the fish.
- Grill fish, about 4 minutes per side or until fish is opaque in the centre.
- For the salsa: Combine the peach, peppers, onions and cilantro in a bowl. Mix together the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour onto salsa, stirring to combine.
- Serve fish with salsa on top and a sprig of cilantro for a beautifully served dish.
Hope you enjoy this dish and your last few weeks of summer!