There are a few classic meals that as a home cook, I still havent made. Ive never made hamburgers, wings, anything with turkey, any sort of pie, or jambalaya.
Yes. Jambalaya is a classic meal in my mind.
These dishes and desserts are on my food to-do-list, but on the top of that carefully crafted list is Pasta Bolognese the all elusive and sexy meat sauce. HmmmHmmm
While it is a sauce I adore, there is unfortunately just one type of bolognese you can never beat your boyfriends mothers. To be fair, it is pretty awesome, but as Ryan so nicely put it Even if I spend 3 days slaving over my meat sauce, it will never be as good as his moms!
Who wants that kind of pressure?!?! Obviously, I do. And obviously my meat sauce was awesome, and got devoured.
But his mothers was better.
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 7 minutes, (until the meat is no longer pink and has started to brown).
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour 1 cup of the wine into the skillet and stir to scrape up any browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper, stirring until combined. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg, basil, cream, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- When serving, add the sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan to the pasta and toss well.
Note: You can simmer for more or less time, depending on how much time you have. Original recipe calls for simmering for 10 minutes at step 4 and 5, but I found the flavors werent quite ready.
Recipe slightly adapted from Barefoot Contessa
Enjoy the recipe! And please healthy it up by omitting the cream (doctors orders).