This watermelon,feta and mint salad is a fantastic salad I created in my kitchen last week. Here is how it came to be:
I got a few herbs for a makeshift garden on my little ledge (its NOT a balcony) that I really enjoy taking care of. See that basil plant? He kept me company while studying for my medical licensing exams. He sat right next to me all day, and I made sure he got all the sun and water he needed. I sound like Tom Hanks with his ball named Wilson from Cast Away, eh? I think I did get a little cabin fever while stuck inside studying.
Now that Im on vacation though, I can let my plants outside for some sunshine (when we get it) and then I get to use them in my cookingand I guess for company too! Wohoo! My mint was getting outta control so I snipped it good, real good. And thats how this watermelon salad came to be. Thank you my minty friends.
This salad is really awesome as a side to any BBQ. Ive made it twice in the same week once as a side for steaks and another as a side for lamb. Its fresh, creamy, peppery, zesty and every other adjective. Its a real winner. And a Jennie Original.
Watermelon Mint and Feta Salad
- 1/8th of a watermelon (you can make it into larger cubes, or into smaller diced pieces)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (add more if you like your cheese!)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, julienned
- 4 cups arugula
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, place in a large bowl the watermelon, mint, arugula and feta cheese.
- Toss with the dressing and serve.
Its an easy one. And a yummy one. And a healthy one. Oh My! Guess you should try it out!